Author Topic: Data Base  (Read 3663 times)

AlaskanGoodGuy

Data Base
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:33:05 AM »
I've been cruising around other sites and added up the number of people consistantly running carpet..... boys, we don't have a lot of people in New England.  We DO have some quality people, just not a lot of them......

If, and it's a big IF, ALL the drivers from Madness and ALL the drivers from Maximus came to RCE for a race?  That would turn at least 20 - 30 people, maybe more.  If we got the 5 or so people who came, bought gear, started to run and disapeared to run consistantly, we could be running some decent weekly races.

From what I have seen, there does not seem to be any data base of who races.......?  If this is true, would it be a good idea to start getting people to fill out an information sheet and put those people in a simple excell spread sheet?  ie. name, email, what they race, etc...

I'm always 'thinking' about hopeful ways to increase our pool of racers and thought I'd try to actually DO something verses 'thinking' about doing something.....   let me know if you think this would fly.

Offline Sal

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Data Base
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »
IMO, I don't think a database would help.  Carpet racing is a tough draw at RCE especially when there is a dirt track in the same building.  Given the ease of start up for dirt racing, one can see why there are 40+ on a Thursday and Tuesday's carpet races are on life support compared to Thursdays.  That's just our track. 

I also think that we are the track that is willing to go the extra distance to race, to travel for carpet and dirt, as well.  It has paid off with the Maximus guys.  They make an effort to get to RCE to race (very much appreciated too).  I think this is how to increase our pool of racers:  bring in racers from other tracks we visit.

I guess what I am trying to say in a long winded way is "racing is what it is."  There are only so many racers out there.  People are going to come and go, as long as there is a place to race.  What is important is to make new racers feel comfortable at RCE and if they are having fun they will return.  Look at Jerome.  He is now on the other side of the learning curve and is now really having fun racing and being competitive as well.  That's great to see, and is a way to increase our pool of racers, too.

Offline S-Dog

• AOL Instant Messenger - xsjm13x
    • View Profile
    • NERCC
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »
I LOVE bringing to old topics back..... Sal, you hit the nail on the head... I had no less than 5 people help me get my car up, running, and tweaked enough to race... ALL IN ONE NIGHT!!!! EVERYONE is soo helpful.  I am trying to get a few of my coworkers up to check it out.  Just a great environment...

As a side note, the past couple weeks seem to be AWESOME for the carpet.

Offline MarkWesterfield

• MSN Messenger - Scrubb@optonline.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »
If you guys want more racers, here is what you need to do....

Get outside where most other humans are.  Get up the materials to build a quick assemble, temporary parking lot track (fire hose works fantastic).  Hold an exhibition race in the parking lot at a local park, a rented space at a local car show, School parking lots and playgrounds, or even in the parking lot of the closest pizza restaurant you guys order pizza from.  Call up any one of the r/c magazines and ask them for a couple boxes of the last two issues to hand out to spectators,and hand out flyers and business cards for RCE (a track banner too).

If you really want to increase racer turnout, then you really need to face the fact that rc racing is not exposed to the general public.  You will have to get local residents intrested in the hobby and nurture them from a novice racer to a skilled racer. 

How dedicated are you guys to getting more racers?  Are you guys so spoiled with your perfect indoor carpet track conditions and $400+ cars that you wont run on unprepared asphalt to save your favorite class and your local track?  How about those speedspec's?  Maybe Speedmerchant will donate 10 or so of those speedspec cars to be used for exhibition races? 

If you want better turnout at the track, you had better start back at the basics with some fun, afordable racing that gets some public exposure.

ROAR rules help keep the available classes organized, fair, competitive, controlled, and cheaper. That is what makes racing fun. Without rules and organization, its just bashing, and that is free in your own backyard, why pay to bash in somebody else's backyard?

Offline Turbocharged

• This is where the rubber meets the dirt
    • MSN Messenger - skelitalrock@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »
Mark, you seem to be good at aranging these things, excelent idea. If we don't have a banner already, than Ed Forer would be a good person to talk to. and with the owner of speedmerchant here, i think a few cars would be easy.
If you really want to increase racer turnout, then you really need to face the fact that rc racing is not exposed to the general public. 
This is definatly true. most people think that 4wd sedan class is a Xmod with a 4wd upgrade. Car shows would definatly be good places to go. lots of people show up off the streets, thousands of people with nothing beter to do than invest thousands into their ride, perfect. It wouldn't be a huse amount of work for one peson, just a little work for everyone.
Turbocharged
Matt "Turbo" C.
Turbo made some crack about a demolition derby including mod classes....it brought memories of my beloved and previously bullet proof speed spec before he trashed all the springs rendering my car useless. 

Offline trebor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:18:31 AM »
GIRLS! girls will always attract anything to MEN. or women. Get a couple of girls holding some signs at the end of driveway and RCE will be flooded with people.
8ight w/GO .21 5 port
FT T4 "Bulletproof"
MGT that eats Revos

RCExcitement

"If I cant pass you, Im gonna hack you!!"

AlaskanGoodGuy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:41:14 AM »
NOW we are talking.  We can call it a 'fund raiser' and do a 24 hour pledge to have at least 4 cars running at all times.  We'll use exotic dancers for turn marshals and combine it with a 'bikini car wash'!

Damn, I'm good.

Offline nickp

• old jackson hole tram
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »
NOW we are talking.  We can call it a 'fund raiser' and do a 24 hour pledge to have at least 4 cars running at all times.  We'll use exotic dancers for turn marshals and combine it with a 'bikini car wash'!

Damn, I'm good.
i like that idea!!! :wacko:
gt2,t4,bk2.

i went out west(Wyoming,south Dakota,Utah,Montana,Idaho) and i suggest going at least once in your lifetime.it is the most beautiful scenery u will ever see.

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Keep your second amendment rights.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
I think that a lot of problems would solve themselves if the people that sat on this, or other forums, would come down and race half as much as they bench race...
-
Speed Merchant - Kwik - Tekin - TQ Racing - Tamale
RC Excitement - support where you race
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline HoaRC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
Hello The Bear,

If you haven't started the excel spreadsheet, I want to suggest an on-line spreadsheet that is open to the public to read and write. It's easy and there's no need to log in. Just type in your name, add columns, change whatever you want. If you no longer want your info to be on-line, you can change your entry at any time.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/hoarc/rcexcitement

Offline HoaRC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 01:22:43 AM »
Hi! A prankster messed up the "free for all" spreadsheet on 2007-07-28 03:30:14 AM. It's not a problem. The spreadsheet saves all revisions. It is easily reverted to the original version. So, here's the cleaner, READ-ONLY page.  Please send me pm, email or just post your information in this thread and I will update it on the chart ASAP.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/hoarc/Copy_%281%29_of_rcexcitement

AlaskanGoodGuy

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 09:22:58 AM »
we are having a blast changing each others info.  Thanks so much for building this!

any way to still allow people to play with the spreadsheet, but lock in name and email?

Offline HoaRC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »
The first one is a free-for-all, change-whatever-whenever-you-want spreasheet:

http://www.editgrid.com/user/hoarc/rcexcitement

The second one is locked:

http://www.editgrid.com/user/hoarc/Copy_%281%29_of_rcexcitement

I've said it. This is the best that it can do, but maybe someone can come up with a better idea.

AlaskanGoodGuy

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »
I think this is awesome.  Any chance you can allow ME access to alter the names, etc.?

Offline HoaRC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
The need to do that never came up. Maybe it's possible, but I have no idea how.