Author Topic: Is the swap meet gonna happen?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline 422shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
Is the swap meet gonna happen?
« on: August 18, 2005, 12:19:22 PM »
Remember the day I mentioned having a swap meet maybe twice a year? Like spring and falltime, so people can buy and sell their unused stuff. Also, it might be a good transition thing, summer to winter racing and such.

It could be a fun thing with hotdogs and stuff, even just to chitchat and hang out on a non-raceday. Renting one pitspace per person for a reasonable amount of money seems fair.

One concern may be loss of sales to the shop, but realistically the buying and selling of used stuff happens anyway between racers regardless. I don't see how it could hurt.

Anone have thoughts on this chime in.... :wacko:  :unsure:  :(  :)  B)  :lol:

(ha...smilies are fun!)
Life is just a series of dogs--George Carlin

Offline unclearty

• View Profile
    • http://www.arlingtonfeedandgrain.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:49:37 PM »
I've always thought this would be a good idea. It happens now behind the scenes, why not make it legit? Rent a pit bench for $5..sell hot dogs and snacks..everybody wins!
Sat Nov 5th..at 10am..run it for say 3 hours. I think it's a great idea. The more stuff that gets passed around, the more parts people need.
...the one man party

Offline 422shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
Well, I really didn't want to mention the pitspace price at this point, to avoid upsetting anyone...but seriously, $5 is way too low. I'd like others to chime in also, and ultimately whatever the powers at RCE think is fair would be fine with me.

Another thought, if the rent amount is low, then it would only be fair to charge some type of admission which might not go over so well. But, it could be a good way for some revenue for RCE since it will be on the premesis and it might be a good way to keeps tabs on who is going in and out. Like a handstamp or wristband of some kind.

Do you think admission for non swap participants is good or bad? It could be good, if a hefty amount of cash is changing hands...then it's only fair that RCE get their due.

This is just an idea, and it might not even work out at all. What would happen if someone said they were ripped off or their stuff was stolen? I don't know, just being the devil's advocate.

If the admission included a raffle ticket, then what?

Just brainstorming here...discuss amongst yourselves...

:unsure:  

Offline unclearty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:26:30 AM »
Well...I think the key here is: what's good for everybody? RCE is new to the area...we've had a pretty good number of spectators..I'm guessing that may well roll over into the fall-winter when we move indoors. If a couple of small ads are placed either in newspapers, or local radio, then we promote an RC Swap Meet. Let's , for example, charge $10 per seller table....times 25 sellers...$250 to RCE..plus food sales. Not a bad take to get the ball rolling. Now a bunch of buyers, hopefully some new-comers, will have used equipment in their hands...where are they going to go to buy other related parts??? I see it as a win-win situation. Now if the swap ends at say 1pm, and we then begin racing, you now have a captiive audience to watch some real racing...perhaps we could have a couple of people "practicing in the dirt and the on-road areas......while the swap meet is going on.......
The initial swap meet should really be designed as a break-even event. The key being to get some interest in the concept. Just imagine the interest in the spring swap meet....
I went to the RC Flying swap/ auction in Oxford last fall. It's just a bunch of fliers buying each other's junk. They don't have a demo flight...they didn't promote their club..nothing!! I thought it odd to do an event like that with no promotion to expand their membership.
Bottom line is...we want to promote RC racing. The more people with rc stuff in their hands, the more people to come racing each week.
                                          Thoughts?
...the one man party

Offline 422shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 10:14:16 AM »
Thoughts?

2 people give a crap

pretty much says it all.

Offline DMSRACING

• Speed with out control is usless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 08:57:59 PM »
I would be interested in attending the swap i'm always on the look out for good deals.
Dave Savaria (aka DMSRACING)

FT-SC10.2, Epic Kill Shot 17.5, Track Power 4600 LiPo 80c, Asso. 1015 Servo, Spectrum DX3R-Pro

FT-T4.2, Trinity D3.5 17.5, Track Power 4400 LiPo 50c, Asso. 1015 Servo, Spectrum DX3R-Pro

2013/14 Paint by DMSRacing Inc.

Leed Follow or get the @&%! out of the way. I wish I could say get the @&%! out of the way more often. I'm just not that fast any more.

Offline RCExcitement

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rcexcitement.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »
The swap meet will happen.  We just need a little time to plan and we will announce a date.  I'm thinking of doing the swap meet as part of an Open House with newspaper advertising and all.  The event date will be coming soon. :D  

Offline 422shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 08:44:38 PM »
Wow, this is great news...this is the kind of grass roots stuff that people talk about and look forward to and remember.

Even if it starts out shakey, it will still be a success because it's a community thing.

Oh yeah, btw I was having a pretty rotten day at work during that last post...not apologizing, but I really thought more people would get excited about it, even critisism would have been nice, ya know.

Thanks, Todd.

Offline RCRacer00

• AOL Instant Messenger - mgordo1027@hotma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 01:58:53 PM »
I got stuff too sell. Be sure to update the site one way or another I'll be there.  
Just having fun at the track

Offline Know and B4

• MSN Messenger - smithrumcoke@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smithrumcoke@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 03:03:27 AM »
I am hoping it will be on a sunday because of my work schedule that is the only day I have to do that type of thing.

Offline Ed Forer

• AOL Instant Messenger - evo8ed
    • View Profile
    • Blue Sky Signs
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:04:06 PM »
I would definately be interested in a swap meet.
SpeedMerchant/Corally USA/Specialized RC/Team Kwik/Parma PSE/Team Tekin/Team Pickles

Team Kwik:  Next to Team Pickles, the premiere fake RC team.

Offline Fish

• MSN Messenger - bfish1769@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BFish74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 10:23:17 PM »
Just for Bill's sake I say we do it on a Sat.  

Just Kidding Mr Smith

Offline Chach

• Pickle Delivery...I got your pickle right here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 10:35:14 PM »
I'll swap my wife for two blondes,a set of hand cuffs and a weed wacker...and i just may need to keep those staples and rubber bands I offerd Eforer if this deal lands :D  
teampickles.com

"If you have any poop, now is the time to fling it"

"Name's Sasso...used to be Ron."

Offline unclearty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 08:20:13 AM »
Sheeesh...there was an image I didn't need this early..........
...the one man party

Offline Know and B4

• MSN Messenger - smithrumcoke@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smithrumcoke@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »
Ha thanks Fish