Author Topic: Nitro vs Eletric  (Read 8776 times)

Offline shadp

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« on: June 06, 2005, 05:51:48 PM »
I was a bit dissapointed while racing at RCE this past weekend, 6/5/05.  I volenteer marsharled for several electric races throughout the day.  When the B and A main 1/8 scale buggy races came around we had barely enough marshals to run the races.  Several of the marshals were also doubling as fuelers.  And several of the electric guys refused to marshal a 15 min A-main because it was 15 minutes!.  Let me say that a 15 minute main is very short compared to the 30-60 minute mains that are held at other local tracks (Madness).  I would like to see RCE be as successful as Madness, but with this nitro vs. electric mentality I don't see this happening.  I pay my race fees just like everyone else, I take my turns marshaling (plus volenteer marshaling), I should not have to wonder if there will be enough marshals/fuelers at the end of the day to run my main.

ShadP

Offline Chach

• Pickle Delivery...I got your pickle right here
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »
well said
teampickles.com

"If you have any poop, now is the time to fling it"

"Name's Sasso...used to be Ron."

Offline RCExcitement

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rcexcitement.com
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 08:33:30 PM »
ShadP,

You are absolutely right about marshalling duties.  There is never any reason that we should have to search for marshals, or continue to call for them.

I will say that we will be tightening up the race program to make it run quicker and more smoothly.  The weekly races will be run the same as a trophy event from now on, regardless of how many racers we have.  

Racers will have to be ready for thier race prior to the end of the race before thiers.  That means that a racer from race 2 will need to be staged and ready to get on the drivers stand as racers from race 1 are exiting.  The racers from race 1 will then return thier transponder and IMMEDIATELY go to the track to turn marshal.  There is no reason to return to the pits.  Once everyone learns the routine, the race days will be shorter and much smoother.

Thanks for the input,
Todd

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 10:02:50 PM »
Well said guys , I watched both the electrics and gas races , and did my marshalling duties , I would like to also add to both electric and nitro guys DON'T GRAB THE DARN CAR BY THE WHEELS !!!! I don't care what it is it will tear your butt pickers up !!! bend over and use the wings on the nitros or flip them by there sides NOT THE WHEELS !! Electrics I have seen the wheels get ripped off by a marshal trying to rescue a car in a hurry , REMEMBER YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO CRASH !!!  :D We all do it from timr to time so remember to pay attention  B)  

Offline cujo

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 10:11:48 PM »
Well put Todd.  By enforcing what you stated in the last paragraph, it will only help the guys in the future.  If they decide to go to some bigger races, i.e. maddness trophy races, your trophy races, regionals, nationals, etc.  they will know what to expect and be prepared, rather than not being ready, missing out and being dissapointed, ruining what should be a great experience and fun day.  I enjoy and look forward to big races.  Competing against 50 other guys in your class is fun, whether your in the A or E main.  Its always fun to race against guys you normally don't see and in the long run you'll only get better.  In closing I hope nobody takes this as an attack, as I'm a middle of the road racer that doesn't claim to be the best by any means.  I've also been the guy not ready, missed out on races and been disappoited.  Anyways, have fun and see you at the track.

Gregg
team .lbs/Dave McGuire Designs

Offline Team Brain Damage

• View Profile
    • http://www.teambraindamage.com
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:15:33 AM »
If you are referring to me (electric guy) about my comment of not marshaling for 15 minute mains for the nitro races, please keep in mind It was almost 7pm, we had a 30 minute down poor. Almost everyone left when it was raining (including nitro guys) , and the few of us that stayed had been there all day. and I personaly have a 90 minute drive home.

i asked the other "electric guy"  who finished racing before the down poor & who was all packed up waiting to go home if he would help to marshal for a 5 minute nitro race with me,
all I was trying to do was to help to make sure the nitro race had enough corner marshals to run.

please don't say this is a Nitro vs Electric thing we are all RC RACERS,  i have nitro and I have electric, and I made the comment about not running a 15 minute main at 7:00 PM you can blame me if you want, but i'm sure i pointed your buggy/truck in the right direction at least once during your main

As far as paying your entry fee.... I didn't ask to run triple "A" mains and I paid the same entry fee you did. if it wasn't 7:00 and it didn't rain i'm sure you would have had a 15 minute main. and I would have had some practice time after your main was over.
Team Brain Damage
Taste Death, Live Life!

Vintage RC Racing.com
Got Vintage RC? Race It!

RC Car Decals.com

Offline ctn14

• AOL Instant Messenger - bighitz19
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:15:39 AM »
Hello Todd,

I was thinking that another way you could try the marshling would be to have the drivers from race 1 marshal race 3 and 2 marchal race 4 and 3 marshal 1, and so on just because if you did that it would give the drive a few minutes to brush his tires, return the transponder, and make little adjustments, and you could have the marshals be walking onto the track as the same time as the drivers. Im not sure if this would work or if its worth trying, but i think that would be less stressful for drivers too.

Thanks
Curtis N

Offline shadp

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 12:57:18 AM »
I apologize for the topic, it shouldn't be about nitro vs. electric.  It should be about your responsibility to marshal.  I would like to thank everyone that did stay for the A-main.  I sometimes forget that I used to have a long comute to the local track and I appreciate the effort everyone put in.  Long mains are tiring for the driver, the marshals, and the pit crew, but I think 15 minute mains are just about right.  I would like to point out that I was in the B-main and marshaled/fueled the A-main.  

I think a bit more structure to the races is the answer.  It will speed the day along and 15 minute mains at 5:00 would probably go over much better than at 7:00.

I too have both electric and nitro and enjoy racing/bashing both types.  

Shad

Offline RCExcitement

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rcexcitement.com
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »
I will start a new topic specifically for race day procedure and etiquette (my big words for the day). :D  

Thanks again for the input,
Todd

Also, I am looking for a dedicated (read as, only runs the races, does not race) Race Directer to run the Off Road Program.   Timmy has done a fantastic job in a VOLUNTEER role as race directer, however, it is not fair to him to put aside his racing for everyone elses enjoyment.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 11:16:41 AM by RCExcitement »

Offline Colt-

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 11:18:44 AM »
Nitro racing presents it's own set of challenges. The need for fuelers is the responsibiity of the driver. I've had to sit out mains in the past simply because you can't depend on having enough volunteers to pit your car for a half hour or longer main. This is not always the case, but the rules state the driver is resonsible for providing his own fueler. Fuelers should not be corner marshalling and corner marshals should not duck their responsibilities to fuel. It's no different than the rule saying if you can't marshall the race you are responsible for because you are running back to back races you must supply your own replacement corner marshall. These responsibilities should not fall on the track. Volunteers are not always plentifull. There will always be complainers and those who think everyone else should cover their butts. If we all do what is expected of us and give a little help at times to the needing drivers, the favor normally gets returned. There are always those who never seem to be prepared. Kinda like a person that walks around bumming cigarrettes. Some peeps just expect others to pick up their tab or cover their butts. A little co-operation goes a long way. If you think someday you'll need some help. it's a good idea to try to help some others first so you have a personal support network. As for the he's getting more than me arguement...the one thing you can count on is someone is always going to complain about something. Once the track starts bending the rules to favor those not prepared it takes away from others. Don't make them compromise an otherwise excellent program...show up prepared.
Quote by Richie Evans, "A good racer is one whose head is in close communication with his balls."

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 01:12:07 PM »
Well if you don't have enough guys to do all the drill nessasary to have a successful Long main simply shorten it to 5 or 6 minutes ,this is the best thing to do in a situation like this weekend ,no biggie ,but not doing your marshalling job !!
 THAT IS !! At my track this doesn't seem to be as big a problem for some reason ?  THANK GOD  :D Or it would be a terrible mess . I'm greatful for this ,but Colt is correct on the support part .It will defiately payoff in the long run  B)

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »
Mr.ETMR   minor change on picking up gas vehicles  recommend that you only pick them up by the front and rear bumper only if you pick them up by the sides you might block the exhaust pipe and shut down the vehicle and that is no fun to the driver even though it was not your fault they flipped over.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT RECOMMEND THE EVERYONE GET A PAIR OF CHEAP gloves to protect you hands from the heat of the nitro motor and even the electric motor
To those about to loose it. Go for it. You can't take it with you.
X Factory X-60 / Team Associated GT2, B44, SC10, SC10 4X4/ Team Losi Mini-T and much more toys

Offline Colt-

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 10:44:38 AM »
;)  The drivers staying off the throttle while we corner marshal their crash would be helpfull also.   :D  
Quote by Richie Evans, "A good racer is one whose head is in close communication with his balls."

Offline Chach

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »
same with electric colt,............same with electric, nobody likes getting rooster'd
teampickles.com

Offline NASCARL GO JR

• AOL Instant Messenger - king8budwieser3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 10:54:36 AM »
hey guys and girls. just my 2 cents as well.  first and formost i want to appolagize for venting in the wrong direction sorry people. i was disapointed in the mains at the trophy races saterday. first thing is the marshalling something does need to be done to get them out there becouse the drivers are on the stand waiting 3 to 5 minutes waiting for marshalls while there batteries are dumping on them . its not just the outside track its the inside too. CNT14 has a great idea about marshalling that would put the drivers and the marshalls at the ready for the next race. we all pay to race and we all should get the same treatment . in that i want to say that in the novice A main it started raining and we were getting wet both car and driver ( waiting for marshalls ) we asked to race indoors due to the rain we were rejected and had to race in the rain . but the electric A main  next race was granted the rain delay and got to race in the dry air . some people are gonna say im crying becouse i didnt make the full main but thats not my complaint it is being equil. becouse ( DURING ) the novice electric race that we ask to go indoors there was an announcement that the next race was going to be postponed till after the nitro's becouse of the rain .whats good for 1 should be good for all. that happening really affected  the way i look at racing now. at that i will stop my complaining and go get ready to go racing . see you's there .                  
carl irons AKA nascar

Offline NASCARL GO JR

• AOL Instant Messenger - king8budwieser3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 10:58:02 AM »
TODD i might be interested in running races for you  and sit out for a while from the racing scene.  
carl irons AKA nascar

Offline cujo

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 11:25:26 PM »
This seems to be an ongoing trend with a simple solution.  There should be a spot next to timmy or other race director that after your race is over, you head over there, replace your transponder in the rack, place your car and radio and head out to due your marshalling duties.  After the race is over and your done marshalling, head back over to the race director, pick up your car and radio and head back to your pit.  There really isn't a need to go back to your pit and then back out to marshall.  This would really help move things along and take alot of pressure off Timmay and Todd.  Nobody wants the day to be cut down from 3 quals to 2 just because it takes forever to run a round.
team .lbs/Dave McGuire Designs

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Keep your second amendment rights.
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 01:03:26 AM »
Carl, I am glad that we were able to talk over the situation of the trophy race today. I now believe that it was a mis-understanding on my part, and I am sorry and apollogize to everyone in the sportsman/novice group that feels slighted. That was not my intent, nor was I trying to make life harder for anyone.

To cujo's point: I believe this is a good idea and will be the REQUIREMENT at all races. We already have the table in the loading area for the indoor dirt track. Putting a table behind the scoring table outside will not be too much of a problem. If at all possible, during trophy races there will be a track official assigned to making sure this practice is enforced at all times. Perhaps we can trade favors with someone that races carpet/dirt exclusively for dirt/carpet large events. This practice is not exclusive to RCE. All larger scale race events already do this, and we are behind in this practice. At even larger races, they impound radios, and have an official assigned to making that all radios are handed out and retrieved, and are switched off when put back in impound. This, too, may need to be looked into at some point, regardless of DSM type radios or not.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 01:27:57 AM by timmay »
-
Speed Merchant - Kwik - Tekin - TQ Racing - Tamale
RC Excitement - support where you race
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 01:05:24 AM »
People that have been enjoying this hobby much longer than much of the newer crowd that are now racing at RCE came up with these practices and enforced them for good reason. I think that we are now experiencing the growing pains that require us to make these changes. The casual racing atmosphere we at RCE are known for should be easily able to remain the same, even with these additional requirements. Matter of fact, it should lead to a much more relaxed feel, when you report for your qualifier on the driver's stand and everything is ready for you to begin.
-
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 01:22:32 AM »
Another practice that we will be looking into enforing is the not leaving the driver's stand after a race has begun. This is only fair to the rest of the competitors to not have undue distractions while driving in their qualifier/event.

There are all kinds of people that race in RC. Some that like to hold conversations while they are driving, others that would rather only know when they have completed their race. With that in mind, after a qualifier/race has begun, nobody should leave their position on the driver's stand until the end of the qualifier, as it is only fair to everyone else on the stand.

This is also a practice that is enforced at larger events. The rule is to take a step back if you have crashed out of the event, but maintain your position on the stand. This gives you a chance to take a deep breath, and cool down and possibly think over what may caused your early retirement form the race. The less than five mintues that you will lose by staying on the stand (obviously nitro mains are slightly different) will not really harm you, and could possibly do some good in helping you to relax and regain your composure.

Everyone has a though day now and again. Working through it with the attitude that one needs to figure out what is actually the cause of their peril will go a long way to figuring out what you can do to improve your lot in the future.
-
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 01:26:29 PM »
OK, I raced the trophy race ,qualifers went fine, but my suggestion is to just run 5 or 6 minute mains for nitros because there is no place to pit !! this is dangerous . Also you could easily add a better pit road to the right of the driver's stand and start the nitros on that corner ,this way you can atleast see your car and tell if its still running or not . and it would eliminate a chance of a false start . And lastly use a flag man to signal "cars down" and "GO" and start the race off this person's actions .  This I feel would lead to less frustrations too .
 Alot of nitro guys like the "heads up" qualifying method ,personally I like IFMAR better , gives you a clean shot at the track ,and if your slower you know it ! as the guy behind you reals you in and passes you with out a confrontation (yeh right LOL)
  If you race nitro and come down to ETMR you can see how well this works , and with the pit lane where it is see how nice launching the starts from it are IFMA style  B)  

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 06:24:52 PM »
For the outside track we have talked about building an area to put your vehicle right after a race.  We were waiting to see how the flow of people start moving around the track area before we built a perminant area so we could pick the best area to put it.  This also included the scoring booth area.  As the amount of work required to run power, PA, computer setup and tabletop for cans this project will require a little bit of time.  
X Factory X-60 / Team Associated GT2, B44, SC10, SC10 4X4/ Team Losi Mini-T and much more toys

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 06:27:45 PM »
Sorry forgot to add we are also looking or procuring a oldfashioned stop light with the red/green/yellow lights to help the nitro guys to hear the start and stop of the races.  If it falls thru then I will just build a temp one.

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »
As I have no use of pictures at work, the following post was made without the use of smilies or emoticons. Nothing in the post was meant in a derrogotory or demeaning <sp?> manner. The thought crossed my mind that it could be taken the wrong way on my ride home. If it offended anyone, I am sorry. :(

As far as the tech-out table, a banquet table will make due for the time being. It is simple and can be implimented immediately. :mellow:

As far as launching nitros, heads-up is the only way to go for mains and can be launched by either flag, or light. Traffic lights are nice, but hard to come by. A chunck of colored material stapled to a stick is easier to find. I think I will work on that one. :mellow:

We have to work together[/b], meaning the nitro racers and race director, on how to communicate a proper IFMAR start. I made mention that I wanted to be able to announce starting positions before all nitro races, and have people hear their starting position. Nitros were being started well before their warm-up period. :(  There is no PA system that we can wire in such that people can hear announcements such as this, and not piss off the neighbors, and cost an arm and a leg. This race for the nitros was all heads-up, the easiest races to start. With the nitros already fired up, there was no way for me to tell people what the grid order was. :(  Without the active cooperation of the drivers, and pit crew, IFMAR starts are impossible. It was my decision to not have IFMAR starts for just this one race. We tested one method last week, and it seemed like it could work, however, the starting results were not consistant enough that I trusted it for a major event. I would have rathered everyone have the opportunity to have their own clock. Things were not in place for this to happen.

So, you like the IFMAR starts now Keith? Good, I am glad I was able to show you how to set that up. ;)  ETMR has been racing nitros for a long time, and puts on a good show (nitro under the lights on Sat night). We, too, will return nitros to IFMAR style qualifiers, and will perfect the system so that it can be implemented consistantly and later used in a large race. :)

The suggestion of making pit lane safer is an important item that will be given further consideration. :blink:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 10:16:22 AM by timmay »
-
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2005, 09:39:56 PM »
Very nice Tim, If you come to my track this weekend you will see how it is done with nitros , and MAN IS IT EVER EASY . it will give all the guys a better chance of improving ,as they are racing themselves and the clock ,not each other !
 Tim with the IFMAR starts you should be able to walk out on to the track and pic the car you want to go , at my track I just place all of them on the pit rail and start them one at a time with a little space between them ,so as the first car is almost to the line the last one is just cranking onto the track ,and they get that full lap to get used to the track too before it starts to count , now I can change the loop and I might do this but not until I see a need for it .  :D  

Offline megawatt

• View Profile
    • http://mega-watt.com
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2005, 10:37:20 PM »
Hey timma
I can make a pa system that will work and not piss off the neighbors. I came up with this system for my store I call it Mega-Watt Radio. What it does is if my customers are dropping there car off after hours they can tune there car radio to 88.3 fm and here were to leave there keys ,store hours, sales, custom services,ect. All the nitro guys would need is a am fm walkman style radio, put on the head phones and everything you say will be heard just like listening to the football game on sunday. The price is less than 100.00 bucks. It has about 1000 feet of range. What do you think.  

Seya Racing  
Rick
PRO BOX Start pitting like a pro with PRO BOX  The Ultimate RC Pit Box. Designed by a racer for racers.

Offline Chach

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 10:29:56 AM »
that is a pretty cool idea Rick, you da man
teampickles.com

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 11:14:02 AM »
This sounds interesting. I am sure that we can talk with Todd about this off-line some. Some things that we would have to consider when doing a 'live' event; What is the latency <sp?> between live and broadcasting? Will it work throughout the building, or is there a lot of degradation transmitting through walls? I realize that this wouldn't matter for nitro, where we would be solely depending on this as a source of communication with teams, and possibly marshalls. In all, it shouldn't matter that much...
-
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 01:09:53 PM »
Using a AM radio on the drivers stand should work for the day.  We could use the Dewalt radio as it uses the drill batteries and we could recharge it at night.  We do later on plan on getting power and comm wiring over to the drivers stand area.  Just ran out of time.

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 01:12:40 PM »
P.S. Tim already working on getting a traffic light.  Have a friend who works in the traffic maintenance division.  Just need to wait for a unit to be replaced.  If not I'll just make a simple one with three power switches.

Offline Chach

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 03:09:35 PM »
Megawatt's idea is the best thing I've heard yet for Nitro.  I am sure the delay is nothing in the realm of things, and it is better than lights simply because now you can hear the announcer in your ear telling you the order, time remaing and so forth.  For $100, its the best thing for nitro going, and everybody has a walkman kicking around somewhere, if not they can be had for $20 bucks, I think any nitro guy would buy one of these in a heartbeat to know what is going on in a race.
teampickles.com

Offline Fish

• MSN Messenger - bfish1769@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BFish74
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 04:40:24 PM »
Could also be used for the electrics as I can never understand what Tim is saying during the race.  

Offline Batfish

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 10:29:02 PM »
If Todd elects to go with the radio broadcast idea, I'll gladly donate at least 10 AM/FM portable pocket-size radios to RCE.  I'll look into getting some extra sets of headphones, too.  Maybe Todd can sell them at the track for those who forget.

Joe

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 11:34:35 AM »
I really like the idea of the broadcaster. As for the radios, they could be rentals, for people that either didn't know about that feature, or for those that forgot theirs. Then again, he could always have a small electronics buisness on the side...
-
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Batfish

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »
The radios can be rentals, but headphones/earbuds should be purchase-only.  Rental earbuds, ick... :blink:  
Joe

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 12:42:47 PM »
I'm not to hot on the idea of having to have a headset or even an ear plug in while racing.  I've spent 20 years using various types of headsets and inserts while using communications gear and it can be annoying or just an inconvience.  I think just having a radio on the drivers stand with maybe one or two speakers would work great. I would rather not have it blaring in my ear. Like I said the Dewalt radio that the shop has would work great on the stand and the drill battery in the back would keep it running all day.  getting a red/green light is still a good idea 2 ways are better than one.

Renting radios would be an expensive item on time.  Keeping charged,spare parts, another item drivers would have to remember to have to race.

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 06:11:05 PM »
I'm with you on that one Adam ,no thanks on the headset stuff ......... Radio on stand would be fine , and a flagman for the starting of nitros is what the pros use .

Offline alwaysracing

• MSN Messenger - greg.ford@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 06:27:56 PM »
if it will get the start off smoother then great, because rite now it's kind of confusing at times.  :unsure:  :unsure:   :(  :(  :(  

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 07:59:05 PM »
This is all good evaluation from the racer's perspective. The broadcast thing is just an idea thrown into the mix. Should this ever come to fruition, it would be an option; if you don't want to use a headset for whatever reason, that would be your choice and never mandatory. It would be more for the nitros benefit than anything else, as there is usually a delay from when something is said till it broadcasts. At this point, its all hypothetical. A radio could still be used on the stand.

Still in the works is a speaker for the driver's stand, and more than likely one in the starting zone - where ever that may wind up (for nitros). Due to the fact that people, whether it's because they are really busy wrenching on their buggies, or caught up in enjoying the day with their friends, don't know where they are supposed to be starting come race time. It happens in all forms of RC (1:1 have problems with this, too). This was one of the tests for this trophy race, to see if people would give me that 10 seconds between races to announce starting positions without any engines running. It didn't happen.

Should we mandate that all drivers (1) must have a pit person that (2) must see the race director on their warm-up lap to find out what the starting order will be? It cannot happen with people sitting on the grid holding their driver's buggies while drivers are clearing out their engines waiting for the start of the race. The pit person will never hear the race director. Using a flag to point people off the grid for qualifying and to launch the mains is fine, that was never the sticking point.

Another cost effective option (to not buying the FM transmitter) would be to use numbers, which I don't think that we have in stock (these could easily be obtained). This seems to be a standard at all level 4 ROAR races, and probably for good reason. IF the buggies are properly numbered at the start of the race, the pit personnel could easily do a self-check to make sure they are in the proper position. I think that this is the better solution, as it would make the driver responsible for checking to make sure they are starting in the correct location. It will become really important for the drivers and pit crew to check the proper stating positions between each round when we start re-sorting between each qualifier (soon to happen). I am leaning toward this option for another reason; if it's noticed that your car is not counting (any class), the race director has a visual reference on the car to hand punch the car into the computer each lap.

-
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Team Brain Damage

• View Profile
    • http://www.teambraindamage.com
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 09:28:47 PM »
tim,

numbers are a good idea, and i like the electric bump ups
Team Brain Damage
Taste Death, Live Life!

Vintage RC Racing.com
Got Vintage RC? Race It!

RC Car Decals.com

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 10:10:26 PM »
All very good ideas , I like the numbers thing as well . I don't think the electrics had any troubles did they ? It's mostly with the nitros because they are loud , call a nitro drivers meeting and tell them how it is going to be and then fine tune it from there , I think most if not all the guys will get it together and we will be able to have a great racing expierience. B)  

Offline MR.ETMR

• View Profile
    • Email
Nitro vs Eletric
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2005, 02:06:07 AM »
Tim ran IMAR starts for the nitros tonight and it went flawless ! :D  Even the mains went extremely well .  B)