Author Topic: Bashing Arena  (Read 2224 times)

Offline niceorange

• View Profile
    • Email
Bashing Arena
« on: May 05, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
I don't know exactly where the property boundries are for RCE, or if there is anything planned for the northeast side of the lot (the side adjacent to the track walkway and side door, but what about setting up a "Bashing Arena" for folks looking to play around with their RC cars, but intimidated to get into racing.  It would give nitro trucks a place to fool around too.  It wouldn't take much to build, just a few table top dirt jumps, maybe some wooden ramps or a rock pile for rock crawling.  Pretty much anything you'd drive your truck over in your backyard if you had it.

Make it free to the public to use and it will bring people to the shop and help them make the step to racing.  It won't hurt that when they break their Tmaxxes and TNXs, you'll have the parts right there for them.

Just a thought!

Offline jmorrison518

• MSN Messenger - jmorrison_iq@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bashing Arena
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
That sounds like a good idea, and i'd even be willing to donate a skateboard style launch ramp to the effort.

The only question that I would have would be the policing of frequencies. How would you keep track of frequency conflicts with 2 indoor tracks, and outdoor track and the bashing area?

Offline Harrisguys

• View Profile
Bashing Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:32:39 PM »
Well, my guys and I haven't done any racing (yet) at the new place but we do come out their and "bash" on the indoor track all the time.  We aren't racing but we are driving and building skills.  There is nothing like launching off a double or triple and landing it to get the juices of a newbie flowing.  Most practice times I have been to have few enough people that there are plenty of kids out driving.  They aren't in anybody's way.  

Bottom line is do we really need a separate area?  A BMX jump isn't going to be any better than the track!  Also, if it is open to the public it would be harder to control frequencies.  Wrecks due to conflicts are just ugly.

Chris

Offline niceorange

• View Profile
    • Email
Bashing Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »
Frequencies are always an issue, but there is no reason why the frequency board couldn't be adapted to a practice arena.  You could still limit access to a free area during races.

The benefit to a bashing arena is that you could do stuff you can't or shouldn't do on the tracks.  For example, on the track you want to be following the flow and direction of the racing groove.  You can't with good conscious drive in reverse or start screwing around with guys practicing their race skills.  Likewise, extra care should be used to protect the track.  You don't want people spinning donuts and ripping up the track the way some of us do when we play around.  Also you can't use nitro indoors, and the same constraints still apply on the outdoor track in terms of good racing etiquette and protecting the track.

My idea is not to replicate the practice you get on the race tracks, but to give people with no racing interests (a majority of R/C vehicle owners) a reason to come to RCE and to get together with other drivers in a setting conducive to RC cars (instead of running on the streets or trespassing in construction areas).  Itís a cheap prospect and one that I havenít seen replicated anywhere else.  I think sometimes guys get wrapped up in the hardcore and pricy aspects of the hobby (racing and modifications) and forget that companies like Traxxas have made a fortune selling reasonably priced RC vehicles (Monster Trucks are the king of starter RC) to people who will never see a ROAR event or drive on a track.  There is lot of money to be made selling and repairing these types of vehicles.  A Bashing arena and this genre of RC gives average people a reason to come to the shop and be more than a spectator for the racers.

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Keep your second amendment rights.
    • Email
Bashing Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:46:43 PM »
Frequencies are always an issue, but there is no reason why the frequency board couldn't be adapted to a practice arena.  You could still limit access to a free area during races.
I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say this; The only radios that are allowed to be used during racing anywhere on the property are; 1. people that are participating in the event. 2. people with 2.4ghz radios that have the technology to automatically avoid channel collision. This is not to be mean or snobby, rather, it is to protect people and their equipment. A tremendous amount of damage can be inflicted on someone, or on personal property. With the prices that people pay for their rigs, its a good idea to keep practice time to practice time, and race time, race time. We explored the idea that we wanted a way to operate just the two tracks at the same time, to maximize facility usage and practice time. Nothing that was suggested was adopted for fear of that momentary of lapse where someone on the 'off' track turns on the wrong frequency and causes a crash on the 'active' track.
-
Speed Merchant - Kwik - Tekin - TQ Racing - Tamale
RC Excitement - support where you race
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline niceorange

• View Profile
    • Email
Bashing Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 08:11:11 PM »
^^ I agree, which is why I said you could prohibit access to a "bashing arena" during races, and mandate that people have a frequency clip other times.  Truth is, racing takes up a small percentage of the time in a week.  All other times it would be fine to allow people a place to play around.  At RC Madness you can practice for free indoors or out anytime there is not a race going on.  They don't have a frequency board even, but people work it out.  I am not saying let it be a free for all, but a system could certainly be worked out.