Author Topic: Moisture in the off road surface  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Pressureman

• View Profile
    • Email
Moisture in the off road surface
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »
Todd,
After a lot of thought about the moisture issue you will have to make the water evaporate in order to get it out of the soil. Saw dust may be compounding the problem by giving it a place to hide! the easiest and least expensive way to do this is with fans blowing across the surface, you will have to move the damp air out of the building. The other way to remove the moisture is to condense the moisture with a dehumidifier and remove the water as liquid.

DALE

Offline Randy D.

• Living the dream
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bikerguy45
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 01:23:38 AM »
It just so happens that we have been running some fans around the track, and it does help a lot.  We have been using the sawdust to make it not so bad on the cars, but the water does get drawn up to the surface after we have run on it for a while.  Great thoughts, and it does work.  I dug down in a couple spots, and the water is right at the top, so a little more time, well be watering the track... soon to come.

Randy D.
Losi 22
Cheap is still fast!!

Offline RCExcitement

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rcexcitement.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
Remove water as liquid, thats the best idea I've heard yet!!! :D   Seriously, I think the dehumidifier is a great idea.  I will pick one up today.  

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Keep your second amendment rights.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:51:40 AM »
The bigger question: is Dale going to start racing again?
-
Speed Merchant - Kwik - Tekin - TQ Racing - Tamale
RC Excitement - support where you race
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Harrisguys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
It could take quite a few dehumidifiers to dry the track! That is one huge rooom!  A great idea though.  Reember to keep the doors shut so you aren't trying to dry the outside world!  ;)  

Offline Femino_Racing

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 04:25:16 PM »
Hi Todd; the dehumidifer will take moisture out but; with that large area and no tight seals to outside; you would need tremendous capacity of dehumdification;  and a couple small units would be a waste of time; your best idea is to keep pounding the are with fans and when warm enough open door; you could blast it with the heater like you did in the past to aid dry-out.  

Offline Femino_Racing

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »
An idea for thought to aid drying; with salamander heaters or other means of concentrating heat at dirt; not in the air; if you could rig up the heater at a 45deg. at about 2-4 ft. away and drive the moisture out; possible on a dolly or wheel-       barrel to aid a slow movement around track; and the way Randy put up baffles to further  concentration heat wouldn't be a bad idea also.

Offline Ghost Rider

• View Profile
    • Keep your second amendment rights.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 07:17:48 PM »
If the area that the dehumidifier was to work on was limited, a small section of the track could be worked on at a time. I say take a small section of poly and cover the dehumidifier with it over the secion of the track to be dried and let it do its thing, moving it around to the worst sections of the track one small section at a time. Doing this will also limit the amount of atmosphere to the machine, making it more effective than just bigger/more dehumidifiers.
-
Speed Merchant - Kwik - Tekin - TQ Racing - Tamale
RC Excitement - support where you race
GOAL, IDPA, USPSA, NRA

Offline Basher

• moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 10:46:26 PM »
Todd let me check in the garage not sure if it is a humidifer or dehumidifier if it is a dehum its yours to keep.
Adam
To those about to loose it. Go for it. You can't take it with you.
X Factory X-60 / Team Associated GT2, B44, SC10, SC10 4X4/ Team Losi Mini-T and much more toys

Offline Supra98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 12:10:03 AM »
Ya use a heater like the jet truck dryer they use in NASCAR, put it on wheels and hit the dirt with it.  Should work.

S

Offline Harrisguys

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 07:37:32 AM »
I am liking the idea of the dehumidifiers used over a small section!  All you would need was a large blue tarp that you could toss over the humidifier and a bunch of pit chairs (or a wooden frame so you don't have leg holes in the dirt...) to hold the tarp up off the ground.  If you had a big tarp, you might be able to cover a 20'X30' section of track with one dehumidifier.  If the tarp is only a few feet off the ground the actual air space could be handled by a home humidifier.  All you would need is a hose going to a bucket to collect the water as it evaporates into the dry air.

I am coming to the track this afternoon (Friday).  I could bring a 50 pt unit with me to leave for a while to give it a shot.  I can also look for my largerst tarp at the same time.  Seems it would be worth trying at least.